Sunday, January 20, 2008

planning for the future


i don't know about you all, but i have a hard time planning for the future. i am plotting for retail and wholesale shows that don't take place until the summer, fall, and even christmas time, and it just seems so daunting! until now i have just been making things i want to make, and hoping that they will appeal to people and sell, but now its time to notch it up. a lot. i have realized that if i am going to be successful at making a living from my work that i am going to have to be a little more aggressive about it.

this can be a difficult place for artists i think. most of us are makers, not marketers or sellers, but in order to make it work we must wear all these hats. i know i am not the only one who struggles with this, but that doesn't always make it easier to swallow!

i have recently hired some help for this, but in trying to give my assistant something to work on, it became clear that i have things to do before she can do her thing. while frustrating, it is also motivating, and seems to be helping me get my act together. a huge calendar went up on my wall last night that goes until september, with deadlines color-coded and underlined. i am visual, after all! hopefully this will help...if anyone has any other ideas on how to make it all work it would be great to hear them....i'm sure we could all use a little help!
ps. the picture above is of some snowfall on burrs in my backyard last winter.

3 comments:

shoshonasnow said...

Hi Tabatha! Remember me from the "Fastidious" show with Shane? I was just looking on Etsy and saw one of your lovely necklaces. Good luck on Etsy! It's been good to me. I look forward to seeing more of your work and I'll be back on here checking to see what you're up to. It's nice to be connected to people dealing with the same work issues.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tab--you are so very courageous going public with your feelings. I remember feeling the same way before you were born--other people's kids were sooooo cute! "I'll have one of my own", said I. No preparation, flying by the seat of my pants, and - looky, looky--here's YOU! Moral, if you love what you're doing, it will work. And you know I've loved being Tab's mom.

Guess who

Anonymous said...

Good words.